If you're like most people, you love candy. But if you have braces, eating your favorite sweets can be a little tricky. In this article, we'll discuss which candies are safe to eat when you have braces, and which ones to avoid. We'll also give you some tips on how to enjoy your favorite treats while still taking care of your braces! As always here at Bargain Boxed we have a huge variety of cheap candy! Check out our Variety Mix Snack & Candy Box Today!
Can You Eat Candy With Braces?
For many people, the thought of giving up their favorite snacks is enough to make them reconsider getting braces. However, it is important to remember that braces are only temporary and that following the orthodontist’s recommendations will help ensure that you achieve the best possible results.
One of the things that orthodontists typically recommend is avoiding hard and crunchy foods, as well as sticky and chewy foods. This is because these kinds of foods can damage brackets and wires, or cause them to become dislodged. Nuts and candy bars that contain nuts are particularly problematic because they are both hard and sticky.
As a result, people who wear braces are advised to avoid snacks like Almond Joy, Snickers, Babe Ruth, PayDay, Snickers, Twix, Butterfinger and Hershey’s with Almonds. Peanut butter cups are a good alternative for those who crave something sweet and nutty.
What Kind Of Candy Is Not Safe For Braces?
There are some types of candy that you should definitely avoid when you have braces. These include:
- Hard candies: Hard candies can be very dangerous for braces, as they can easily break or crack teeth. They can also cause brackets to come loose, which can lengthen the time you need to wear braces.
- Sticky candies: Sticky candies are also dangerous for braces, as they can easily pull out brackets and wires. They can also be difficult to remove from teeth, which can lead to cavities.
- Chewy candies: Chewy candies can be dangerous for braces because they can cause wires to become bent or broken. They can also increase the risk of cavities and gum disease.
- Nougats & Taffy: Nougats and taffy can be very dangerous for braces, as they are extremely sticky and can easily pull out brackets and wires.
- Caramel: Caramel can be dangerous for braces because it is very sticky and can easily pull out brackets and wires.
Licorice: Licorice can be very sticky once chewed, which can cause brackets and wires to come loose. It can also become lodged in between wires and brackets.
What Are Some Candies To Avoid With Braces?
A general list of specific candies to AVOID with braces would be..
Butterfinger, Snickers, Twix, Laffy Taffy, Sour Patch Kids, Twizzlers, Take 5, PayDay, Milky Way, 3 Musketeers, Baby Ruth, Whatchamacallit, Heath Bars, Zagnut, Charleston Chew, Clark Bar, Chick-O-Stick, 100 Grand Bars, etc.
We recommend NOT to eat any candies that are also similar to the ones above.
What Kind Of Candy Is Safe For Braces?
There are some types of candy that are safe for braces, including:
- Soft Gummy candies: Gummy candies are a great option for people with braces, in most cases they are soft and easy to chew. Be sure to check just how chewy the candy in question is before eating it with braces.
- Chocolate: Chocolate is another safe option for people with braces, as it is soft and not sticky, chocolate can easily melt without being chewed on.
- Sugar-free candy: Soft sugar-free candy is a good option for people with braces, as it does not contain sugar that can cause cavities.
Here Are Some Tips On How To Eat Candy With Braces
- Choose soft candy: Soft candy is easier on braces and less likely to cause damage.
- Avoid sticky candy: Sticky candy can be dangerous for braces, so it's best to avoid it altogether.
- Eat candy in moderation: Eating too much candy can increase the risk of cavities, so it's important to eat it in moderation.
- Eat slowly: Its a good idea to chew candy slowly so that you are less likely to damage your teeth.
- Suck instead of chewing: Sometimes its okay to suck! Instead of chewing your favorite candy and potentially damaging your teeth or braces, try sucking on the candy instead!
What Junk Food Can You Eat With Braces?
In general, you should avoid junk food when you have braces. However, there are some types of junk food that are safe for braces, including:
- Pizza: Pizza is a safe option for people with braces, as it is soft and not sticky. Just be sure to avoid any toppings or crust that could be hard or sticky.
- Burgers: Burgers are a safe option for people with braces, as they are soft and not sticky. Just be sure to avoid any toppings or buns that could be hard or sticky.
- Fries: Fries are a safe option for people with braces, as they are soft and not sticky.
- Soft drinks: Soft drinks are a safe option for people with braces, as they are not sticky and can be easily swallowed. Just be sure to avoid any that are sugary or acidic.
- Milkshakes: Milkshakes are a safe option for people with braces, as they are soft and not sticky. Just be sure to avoid any that are sugary or high in fat.
What Foods Should You Avoid With Braces?
In general, you should avoid hard, sticky, and sugary foods when you have braces. However, there are some specific foods that you should avoid, including:
- Hard candy: Hard candy can break teeth and damage braces.
- Sticky candy: Sticky candy can be dangerous for braces, as it can easily pull out brackets and wires.
- Sugary candy: Sugary candy can cause cavities.
- Popcorn: Popcorn can get stuck in braces and is difficult to remove.
- Nuts: Nuts are hard and can break teeth or damage braces.
- Chips: Chips are hard and can break teeth or damage braces.
- Gum: Gum is sticky and can easily pull out brackets and wires.
Can You Eat Reese's With Braces?
Reese's are typically safe for braces, as they are not chewy and only slightly sticky due to the peanut butter filling. However, when eating Reese's with braces, be sure to eat them in moderation and avoid any peanut butter cups that may be hard or excessively sticky.
Can I Have Mentos With braces?
Have you ever wondered if mentos are bad for braces? Well typically Mentos are NOT safe for braces, as they are chewy and sticky. We reccomend avoiding mentos and other similar candies when you have braces
Is It Okay To Eat Cotton Candy With Braces?
It is typically not a good idea to eat cotton candy with braces, as the candy is sticky. However, when eating cotton candy carefully (such as letting it melt in your mouth), it can be safe to eat with braces.
The safest option is to avoid cotton candy and other similar candies altogether when you have braces.
Can I Eat M&Ms With Braces?
M&Ms are typically safe for braces, as they are small and not sticky. However, we recommend avoiding the peanut M&Ms, as they are hard and can break teeth or damage braces.
Our Final Thoughts On Eating Candy With Braces
Candy can be a delicious treat, but it's important to be careful when you're eating it with braces. Be sure to avoid hard, sticky, and chewy candy, and opt for softer options instead. Eating candy in moderation is also key to avoiding cavities. CHeck with your Dentist or Orthodontist before consuming any foods that may damage your teeth or braces.
And finally, be sure to chew slowly and carefully to avoid damaging your teeth or braces. With a little bit of caution, you can enjoy candy even with braces!
Thanks for reading and we hope this article was helpful! Feel free to check out oyur recent post on, Do Reese's Peanut Butter Cups Expire?