The more we pollute our planet, the more challenging things will become here. That’s why we need to use all the power and tools at our disposal in order to not only reduce the carbon footprint, but also teach others how to do it too. This is not a walk in the park and it will have its fair share of challenges. Yet at the same time, if we commit to it and we make it work, nothing can stand in our way.
What is a carbon footprint?
The carbon footprint is a concept that was designed with the idea of identifying just how much of an impact a person’s activity has on the environment. Did you think that you have no impact? You do, every action you take might actually damage the environment and contribute to climate change in some way. For example, the meat you buy at your local store required a lot of actions that ended up damaging the environment. So even if you don’t really damage the environment yourself, the items you buy required manufacturing and other tasks that did end up damaging the environment.
What is the average carbon footprint for a person?
According to the latest estimates and studies, the average carbon footprint for a person in the US is 16 tons. This is alarming, because it’s one of the highest values in the world when it comes to the carbon footprint. By comparison, the global average is around 4 tons. This means the American average is 4 times higher than the global average, so we need to do something.
Tips and tricks on how to reduce our carbon footprint
- It’s a good idea to consume local as well as seasonal products
- Limiting the meat consumption is crucial, so keep that in mind
- Don’t buy stuff you don’t need, as it ends up damaging the environment
- Buying reusable items is always a good idea, since it will help you reuse the item again and again. That’s especially true when it comes to bags, plastic is one of the main pollutants on our planet. Which is why you want to stop using plastics as much as possible.
- Take good care of your items and donate stuff rather than throwing it in the dumpster. This way someone else will be able to enjoy those items.
- Make sure that you avoid driving your car, if anything use public transport or your bicycle, as that is going to help you a lot.
- Renting, buying second hand or borrowing items can actually be very helpful, and it will eliminate many of the concerns and challenges that can arise.
- Take short showers to avoid wasting water
- Recycle and limit your waste as much as possible, every simple change can help you make a difference here.
- Turn off the water while you clean the dishes or brush your teeth. Again, the idea is to avoid wasting water as much as you can. Even if it might not feel like a lot at first, it does end up being quite the problem in the long run.
- Try to change the route to a less popular one while driving. Avoiding traffic is a great way to reduce the carbon footprint, while still getting to where you want to go. Believe it or not, you will be way less in traffic, and that alone is a great idea to keep in mind.
- Combine errands to avoid taking too many trips. A single trip will be more than enough, and you get to save some time on that as well.
- Insulating and sealing your home will reduce leaks and you will end up consuming less energy to heat it up. This definitely lowers the carbon footprint, and it’s exactly the thing you want to focus on in a situation like this.
- Add solar panels to your home if possible. Granted, the upfront cost can be high, but the benefits you receive are second to none. We recommend you avoid any rush and focus on this investment, because it’s well worth it.
It’s recommended to find ways to lower your carbon footprint, and these tips and tricks can help you get started. You should always consider finding methods that will help you protect the environment. Even if it might be hard to do that at first, in the long run it’s always going to be worth it. At the end of the day, protecting the environment is the right approach and it has the potential to really help us have a better future!